Potatoes are pretty magical, aren’t they?
You can mash ’em, fry ’em, bake ’em, scallop ’em…Hell, you can even throw ’em in a pot and make vegan loaded baked potato soup.
The weather has been pretty crazy here in California these past few months. We’ve been getting a TON of rain this year, which is pretty rare. I don’t know about you guys, but rainy days always call for soup. I was craving loaded baked potatoes the other night for dinner, but all we had were small red potatoes. They were about to go bad, so I figured I would use them to make vegan loaded baked potato soup!
This recipe is very simple and doesn’t require much time to make. Not to mention, it’s a big bowl of comfort! We hope you guys love our recipe for this vegan loaded baked potato soup. If you try it at home, take a photo and tag us on Instagram at @Eat_Figs_Not_Pigs. We absolutely love seeing your recreations of our recipes! Til next time, guys!!!
- ¾ cup Vegetarian Chicken Broth OR 1 Not Chik'n Bouillon Cube
- 1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 ½ pounds russet potatoes, diced into cubes
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery and leafy ends, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 - 13.5 ounce can extra thick coconut milk
- 5 cups unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
- 3 Not Chick’n bouillon cubes
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream (we use Tofutti brand)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds, such as Daiya
- TVP bacon (recipe above)
- Vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- Minced green onion
- Place dry TVP in a large mixing bowl
- In a small saucepan, boil vegetarian chicken broth. If you are using a bouillon cube, then boil 3/4 cup water with your bouillon cube
- Mix water into dry TVP and mix to combine
- Add vegan Worcestershire and liquid smoke, mixing to combine
- Set aside to rehydrate, about 10-15 minutes
- In a pan on medium high heat, add oil
- Once oil is hot, add TVP mixture and stir constantly until it becomes crispy and gets darker in color, much like real bacon, about 10 minutes.
- Set aside
- In a pot on medium high heat, add vegan butter
- Once butter is melted and hot, sauté onions, celery, and leafy ends for about 3 minutes
- Add garlic and sauté another 2 minutes
- Add flour and mix to combine thoroughly
- Add coconut milk and whisk, making sure there are no flour clumps
- Add almond milk and bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil.
- Add potatoes
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes
- Using a potato masher, mash some of the potatoes, leaving some whole
- Add vegan shredded cheese and vegan sour cream, stirring to combine
- Cover and simmer an additional 10 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve soup hot and garnish with TVP bacon, one teaspoon shredded cheese, vegan sour cream, and green onion
2. TVP - or textured vegetable protein, can be purchased from most health food stores such a Sprouts or Whole Foods. We buy the brand Bob’s Red Mill.
3. You can cook your TVP for less time or longer, it just depends on your preferred texture.