Most of you probably don’t know this about me, but I am – or I used to be, before I became vegan – obsessed with brownies.
Growing up, my mom would bake brownies religiously. No special ingredients or secret recipe…just your basic, straight-out-of-the-box Betty Crocker brownies. I fuckin’ loved ’em.
It’s been years since I’ve had one of my mom’s brownies, so when I received Katie and Kate’s book, Frugal Vegan, and saw the recipe for these vegan walnut brownie cookies, I knew I had to make them.
I love this recipe, because it’s simple and requires only a few ingredients – exactly what a girl like me needs. Most of you already know this about me, but for those of you who don’t…I am completely clueless when it comes to the science and art of baking – hence the limited amount of dessert recipes on this blog.
In fact, all of the recipes in Frugal Vegan look so simple, but still so delicious! I cannot wait to try them all! My favorite aspect about this cookbook is that Katie and Kate really showcase that eating a vegan diet is completely affordable. It’s so frustrating when I hear people say that eating healthier is more expensive, when in fact, a whole foods and plant based diet is probably one of the cheapest diets there is. Frugal Vegan is packed with 99 affordable and delicious plant-based recipes to help lead a healthy vegan lifestyle without breaking your bank. Hashtag, winning.
If you’d like your own copy of Katie and Kate’s book, Frugal Vegan, you can purchase it here. The recipes range from breakfast, to desserts, to small bites…so it’s got something for all you frugal vegans out there! I am also giving away two copies (US residents only), so if you’d like to enter in my giveaway, check out the photo of these cookies on my Instagram at @Eat_Figs_Not_Pigs or Facebook @EatFigsNotPigs. I’ll pick a winner Monday, July 17th!
Anyway, we hope you guys love these brownie cookies as much as we do! If you happen to make them, take a photo and tag us on Instagram! Make sure to tag Kate and Katie, too! After all, this is their recipe! You can follow them on Instagram at @Well_Vegan!! I hope you’re all having a cool and fun summer. Til next time, guys!
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) canola oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) nondairy milk
- 1 cup (192 g) sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup (94 g) flour
- 3/4 cup (83 g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup (58 g) walnuts, chopped
- Vegan chocolate chips, optional
- Whisk together the canola oil, nondairy milk, sugar and vanilla, and set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking soda. Whisk the dry ingredients to combine them evenly. Then, add the wet ingredients and stir (we like to use a wooden spoon) until it comes together in a brownie-like batter.
- Mix in the walnuts and optional vegan chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for two hours or longer.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop out rounded tablespoons (15 g) of dough on to the baking sheets.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool completely before transferring them.