I have a love affair with mac and cheese. If I weren’t prone to gaining weight so easily, I’d eat it every damn day.
With all the different variations of mac and cheese that can be made, I’m convinced anyone could live off of it their entire lives without complaint.
For our first ever vegan mac and cheese recipe, I decided to keep it easy and quick.
Yes, you read that correctly.
For this simple recipe, you won’t have to soak any cashews and you’re high-speed blender gets a night off.
You know those days when you just want to stay in pajamas all day long, binge watch Netflix, and eat all the carbs in the world? Well, yesterday was one of those days.
I wanted vegan mac and cheese, but I didn’t want to do any of the work. I could have just opted for a boxed version, but who are we kidding?! I can’t help it, I love to cook!
I’m not kidding when I say this vegan mac and cheese is easy! It requires less than 10 ingredients and the majority of its cooking time is done in the oven.
Just melt your cheeses with a bit of non-dairy milk, mix in your other ingredients, throw it all in a casserole dish, cover with breadcrumbs, bake and voila!!! Your mac and cheese is ready to devour.
Ashlee and I have made this version of vegan mac and cheese quite a few times before. This is the first time we added vegan “chicken” and we really loved it! You can totally leave it out and it would still be just as delicious.
As always, we hope you love this recipe as much as we do! If you make it, take a picture and tag us on Instagram at Eat_Figs_Not_Pigs. Til Next time, guys!
- 1- 16 oz. package cavatappi noodles
- 4- 7 oz. packages of vegan cheese (we used 1 Daiya cheddar shreds, 1 pepperjack shreds, 1 smoked gouda block, and 1 classic blend shreds)
- 2 packs Tofurkey Slow Roasted Lightly Seasoned Chick’n (optional)
- 3 Jalapeños
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened flax milk
- 1 cup panic bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup Sriracha (optional)
- 1/4 vegan butter, melted
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit
- In a saute pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil
- Saute chick’n and jalapeños until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add Sriracha and cook an additional 2-3 minute, set aside.
- Cook noodles according to package and set aside
- Mix bread crumbs and melted butter in a small bowl. Set aside.
- If you have any cheese blocks, make sure you cut them into smaller cubes to ensure they melt easier
- In a large saucepan on medium-low heat, add your cheeses and one cup of unsweetened non-dairy milk
- Stir until cheeses have melted, but still a bit clumpy
- Add remaining cup and a half of non-dairy milk and continue to stir until all the cheese lumps are gone
- Mix chick’n, jalapeños and noodles into the cheese sauce and stir until all the noodles and chik’n are coated with sauce
- Season with salt and pepper to taste
- Add mac and cheese to a large casserole dish and top with panic bread crumb mixture
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes
- Remove foil and bake another 20-30 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly
- Broil for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking for extra crispy crust