Many of you probably don’t know this, but I spent many years living in Louisiana. Although I’ve spent most of my adult years living in California, I consider the Bayou state my home away from home and it’ll always have a special place in my heart.
If there’s one thing I miss most about Louisiana, it’s definitely the food! Cajun cuisine is unlike any other!
The other day, I was feeling pretty homesick so I decided to make a vegan gumbo. The flavors were so perfect, it felt like I was back in Louisiana.
Traditionally, gumbo is made with filé powder. If you’re unable to find it in your local grocery store, you can just swap out for extra cajun seasonings. It will still taste super delicious! We love to serve our vegan gumbo with white rice or potato salad. Most cajuns eat it this way, so we highly recommend it!
We hope you guys love this recipe for vegan gumbo as much as we do! If your try it, take a photo and tag us on Instagram @eat_figs_not_pigs and hashtag #EatFigsNotPigs. Til next time, guys!!!
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4-5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup all purpose white flour
- 3/4 cup canola oil
- 3 TBS vegan butter
- 6 cups water
- 4 'Not Beef' bouillon cubes
- 1-14.5 oz can stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lb frozen okra
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 5 Bay Leaves
- 2 tsp Crystal Hot Sauce
- 1-14 oz package vegan sausage, cut into 1" thick slices (we use Tofurky Andouille)
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning (we use Slap Ya Mama-Extra Hot)
- 1-2 tsp filé powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- green onion, for garnish
- Rice, for serving, optional
- Potato Salad, for serving, optional
- Begin by making a dark roux
- In a large dutch oven or pot, heat oil and one 'Not Beef' boullion cube on medium heat
- Slowly add flour and mix continuously until roux becomes a dark brown, about 10-15 minutes
- Remove from heat and let cool, about 15-20 minutes
- Once cooled, return to medium-low heat and add vegan butter, onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic
- Cook until fragrant, about 8-10 minutes
- Slowly add the water and the remaining 'Not Beef' Bouillon cubes. Mix until all the cubes have melted and the stew becomes thick
- Add the rest of of the ingredients, except the filé powder and okra
- Bring to a boil, simmer and cover for 45 minutes
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if you prefer
- Add the okra, simmer and cover another 45 minutes
- Add file powder and simmer another 5 minutes
- Serve with potato salad or white rice
- Garnish with green onion if desired