It’s Taco Tuesday, so you know what that means…we’re posting another taco recipe!! And not just any taco recipe, a vegan ‘fish’ taco recipe! All my fellow seafood lovers rejoice!
I don’t know why the fuck it’s taken so long to post another taco recipe because I love tacos and we eat them all the time. We probably don’t post taco recipes as often as we should because I eat them faster than I can photograph them. I’m literally such a fat ass; it took everything in me not to shovel these bad boys in my mouth.
The other day, I came across Hot for Food’s blog post on vegan crabcakes and immediately, I was inspired. I used to love fried fish tacos before going vegan, so I decided to make vegan ‘fish’ tacos! BRILLIANT! Instead of using artichoke hearts like Hot for Food did, I used hearts of palm for the meaty-fishy base of the tacos.
I had Ashlee make a batch of some avocado slaw to go on top of the vegan fish tacos and it was the perfect addition. I also had some vegan sour cream that needed to be used up, so I made a chipotle crema to drizzle on top.
I can honestly say that these vegan ‘fish’ tacos undoubtedly resemble real seafood tacos. They’re crispy on the outside and flaky on the inside. The best part is, they’re not overly fishy. You can add as much or as little seasoning as your heart desires. We hope you like this recipe as much as we do! Make sure to follow us on Instagram and Facebook for all of our recipe updates! Til next time, guys!!!
- 3 avocados, pitted and halved
- 2 cups coleslaw mixture
- 1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 lime, juiced
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped
- 1-2 TBS vegan mayo
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 TBS adobo sauce
- 3 TBS vegan sour cream
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup + 1 tsp canola oil, for frying
- 2- 14 oz canned whole hearts of palm, drained and chopped
- 3 shallots, very finely minced
- 1 green onion, very finely minced
- 1 cup + 4 TBS all purpose flour
- 2 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
- White onion, minced (for garnish, optional)
- Cilantro, minced (for garnish, optional)
- In a food processor, blend avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, vegan mayo, lime juice, salt & pepper
- Toss with cabbage mixture
- Set in refrigerator to cool
- Blend all ingredients together. Set aside
- In a medium saucepan, add one teaspoon oil on medium high heat
- Add hearts of palm and mash with a fork or potato masher
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Turn heat to low, add shallots and green onions
- Cook another 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and let cool about 15 minutes
- When mixture is cool, add Old Bay seasoning and cayenne. Toss to coat.
- Adding one tablespoon of flour at a time, add flour into hearts of palm mixture until you are able to mold it into "fish" sticks
- Form 8 "fish" sticks
- Once fish sticks are formed, dip into one cup flour, then almond milk, then panko bread crumbs
- Fry on medium high heat for 5-7 minutes, until golden brown
- Assemble tacos with avocado slaw, chipotle mayo and top with cilantro and onions