Are you guys football fans? To say that Ashlee and I love football is an understatement.
Having people over cheering for their teams, drinking and eating delicious junk food are probably some of the most fun things you can do in life. Our love for Football, especially the Cincinnati Bengals (WHO DEY!!!), is a special bond Ashlee and I will share for the rest of our lives.
Obviously, you can’t host a great football party without great food! And when I think of great football food, vegan jalapeno poppers are the first thing that come to my mind. They’re creamy, savory, crunchy, and you can just pop ’em in your mouth during a commercial break.
Our vegan jalapeno poppers are made almost exactly like the traditional ones, with the exception of switching to vegan ingredients. The most time consuming part is making the TVP bacon, so you can leave it out if you’d like, but I wouldn’t recommend it.
IT IS SO FUCKING GOOD.
We hope you and all your football party guests love this recipe as much as we do! We promise, no one will never know these vegan cheesy bacon jalapeno poppers are actually vegan!
As always, if you try this recipe, take a picture and tag us on Instagram at Eat_Figs_Not_Pigs. Til next time, guys!!!
- 15 jalapenos, deseeded and cut in half lengthwise
- 4 oz vegan shredded cheddar melts, such as Daiya
- 4 oz vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 vegan parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 Not Chikn boullion cube
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 1 TBS liquid smoke
- 1 TBS vegan worcestershire sauce
- 5-8 TBS olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- Start by making TVP bacon
- In a mixing bowl, add dry TVP
- In a small saucepan, heat water and buillon cube until boiling
- Add boiling seasoned water to TVP and let rehydrate for 10-15 minutes
- Once rehydrated, add liquid smoke, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce and salt to taste
- Mix thoroughly
- In a pan on medium heat, add TVP mixture and simmer until the remaining liquid has cooked out
- Slowly adding 1 tablespoon of oil at a time, continue to mix TVP mixture often
- If mixture becomes dry, add another tablespoon of oil
- Continue to mix until TVP bits become dark brown and crispy, resembling real bacon bits, about 20 minutes or so
- Transfer to a paper towel lined plate and set aside
- In another bowl, add vegan cheeses and TVP bacon and mix thoroughly
- Fill each jalapeno with about one tablespoon of vegan cheese and TVP bacon mixture
- In a small bowl, mix melted butter and panko bread crumbs together
- Top each stuffed jalapeno with about 1-2 teaspoons of panko bread crumbs
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and bread crumbs are golden and crispy