Have you ever tried cheeseburger pizza? I have once and it was fucking phenomenal.
At first I thought, “Pickles on pizza? No thanks”.
Obviously, my curiosity got the best of me and I just had to try a slice. One slice turned into four slices and the rest is history. I am now an official cheeseburger pizza lover.
While watching Bachelor in Paradise last night, stoned and hungry, I felt a sudden craving for pizza and burgers all at the same time. The wheels started turning in my head and immediately, I was reminiscing of the one and only time I tried cheeseburger pizza.
I’m sure you can tell from our last few posts that we have been experimenting with different meaty textures, so I thought a vegan cheeseburger pizza would be the perfect recipe to try out a ground beef substitute using textured vegetable protein (TVP).
For the base of the pizza, I spread some vegan cheddar cheese sauce that I bought from Sprouts. I was going to make my own cheese sauce, but I was too fuckin’ lazy for all that work.
For toppings, I kept it pretty simple. I really wanted to be able to get all the flavors of a cheeseburger, so I didn’t want to over-do it.
This vegan cheeseburger pizza combines the best of both junk foods!
We hope you love this recipe as much as we do and as always, please feel free to leave comments or share feedback if you happen to try this recipe out. Til next time, guys!
- 1 TBS oil, for crisping
- 1 cup textures vegetable protein (TVP)
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 "Not Beef" buillon cube
- 2 TBS vegan worcestershire sauce
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 TBS sweet pickle relish
- 2 TBS dill pickle juice
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 1 package pizza dough (homemade or store bought)
- 1/4 cup vegan cheese sauce (homemade or store bought)
- 1 package favorite vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- 1/2 cup roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup dill pickles, diced
- 1/2 cup cup white onion, minced
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit
- In a mixing bowl, add dry TVP, set aside
- in a small saucepan, boil water with buillon cube on high
- Pour seasoned water in the bowl with TVP, cover and let rehydrate for 10-15 minutes
- In a separate pan, heat oil on medium high heat
- Once oil is hot enough, add rehydrated TVP and cook until it becomes crisp and starts to resemble ground beef, about 30-40 minutes. Set aside
- Mix all ingredients together and set aside
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to make about a 14" pizza
- Add about cheese sauce and 1/4 cup burger sauce and cook for about 5 minutes
- Add TVP mixture and vegan shredded cheese and cook another 10 minutes
- Add onions and tomatoes and cook another 5 minutes
- Remove pizza from oven, top with diced pickles and remaining burger sauce
- Serve and enjoy!
*To make the pizza, we used a pizza stone. If you are using one as well, we recommend preheating it for an hour before baking off your pizza
*If you like a thicker crust, make your pizza 10" or 12" instead of 14"
*This recipe can easily be made gluten free simply by using a GF pizza crust and GF soy sauce or Tamari!