Are you guys ‘Team Sweet’ or ‘Team Savory’ for breakfast? Usually, I’m Team Savory. I’ll pick tofu scramble and soyrizo over pancakes any day.
Lately, though, I’ve had a glarly sweet tooth and this vegan French Toast has been a Sunday morning ritual.
I know what you’re thinking, and this vegan French Toast is not lacking without an egg batter. Chickpea flour takes the place of the egg in this recipe and we promise, you’ll never taste the difference! This recipe is the perfect weekend brunch recipe!
Grab your mimosa and let’s get to cooking the best vegan French Toast!
Aside from tasting #DeliciousAF, our vegan French Toast is simple and quick, requiring just a few ingredients and no more than 30 minutes of your time.
Chickpea flour is a much healthier alternative to eggs, providing 0 grams of cholesterol, 10 grams of protein, and a whopping 5 grams of fiber in just a half cup. Now, I’m not saying this recipe is healthy by any means, but if you’d like a healthier version, you can make simple swaps to make it a very tasy and healthy breakfast. For example, instead of sugar, you can use a natural vegan sweetener such as agave nectar or maple syrup.
We hope you guys love our recipe for vegan French Toast as much as we do! If you give it a try, make sure to snap a photo, share it on Instagram and tag us at @Eat_Figs_Not_Pigs. Make sure to use the hashtag, #EatNotFigs! We love seeing your recreations of our recipes!
Til next time, Friends!!!
- 1 cup vanilla flavored non-dairy milk (we used vanilla Almond Milk)
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 loaf bread of choice, cut into 1" thick pieces (should make about 6 slices)
- 6 tsp Vegan butter
- Maple syrup, optional
- Powdered Sugar, optional
- Fruit, optional
- Vegan coconut whip, optional
- In a shallow pan, mix together 1 cup non dairy milk, chickpea flour, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Soak bread on each side of the mixture for about 3 minutes, making sure the entire piece of bread is covered in 'batter'
- In a non-stick pan on medium heat, melt 1 tsp butter for each slice of bread.
- Pan fry each slice until golden and crispy on the outside, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Serve with fruit, syrup coconut whip, and a sprinkle of powdered sugar