For those of you who read our blog and don’t know us, I’d like to announce that Ashlee and I are getting married! It’s a small wedding, so we don’t have to deal with all the typical pre-wedding bullshit…thank goodness! So far, planning everything has been easy-breezy! Since the date is creeping closer towards us, we thought it’d be a good idea to get our asses in shape. I mean, every bride wants to look absolutely fucking phenomenal on her wedding day, right?!
So, as of the last couple weeks, we have been working out and incorporating more vegetables into our diets. Before we became vegan, “dieting” was always so hard. The struggle was honestly too real. Now, our bodies literally crave fresh vegetables. Coming up with new, healthy and delicious ways to incorporate them into our diets have been fun!
Ashlee loves any excuse to grill and I’m absolutely OBSESSED with mushrooms. She came up with the portobello eggplant stacks and they are so good!!! They’re great for family get togethers or barbecues, they’re quick, and they’re really healthy. Basically, they’re perfect.
We ran out of charcoal the day we were photographing these for the blog, so we made them on the stove instead. These stacks can be baked as well, so there’s just no excuse not to try them! We sat them on a bed of arugula and topped them with a tomato salad and balsamic glaze. The sweetness from the balsamic glaze pairs perfectly with the bitterness of the arugula. I think adding some shaved almonds or red onion might add a nice crunch as well! My mouth is salivating now. If you happen to try this recipe, show us some love and tag us o
n Instagram @EatFigsNotPigs. Til next time guys!
- 1/4 Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbs Sugar in the Raw
- 6 portobello mushroom caps
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 6 rounds
- 2 small yellow squash, sliced lengthwise (see picture above)
- 1 tbs + 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers, halved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup Follow Your Heart Vegan Mozzarella Shreds
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 tbs sherry vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat Oven to 400
- Fire up your grill
- Mix ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer until sauce thickens, about 20 minutes
- Oven roast bell peppers for 20-25 minutes
- When bell peppers are done roasting, set aside and slice lengthwise, set aside
- While peppers are roasting, brush vegetables with one tablespoon olive oil
- Grill eggplants, squash and mushrooms for about 5-6 minutes per side
- When you flip your eggplant, make sure to add your cheese fduring the last minutes of grilling
- While veggies are grilling, toss the arugula, sherry vinegar one teaspoon oil and salt & pepper until fully incorporated, set aside
- Add arugula to the bottom of the serving dish and begin assembling your stacks
- We did so in this order: eggplant, cheese, squash, bell pepper, mushroom, tomatoes, balsamic glaze drizzle