I always have a pretty good laugh when my omnivore friends tell me that plant-based meats are weird…especially when it comes to hot dogs.
I mean, if you think about it, hot dogs are just a bunch of remnants of the pig that no one wants to eat – all ground up into a link, then encased with intestines to hold it all together.
Doesn’t that sound way more scrumptious than a veggie dog?! I didn’t fucking think so.
Today, we received a package from Lightlife with all the essentials to make the most epic veggie dogs. I’m talking a BBQ set, grilling condiments, and a portable grill that doubles as a cooler! Hashtag, winning.
Ashlee and I absolutely love Lightlife Veggie Dogs, so when we opened the package, we immediately became inspired to make something amazing! Coincidentally, today is also National Hot Dog Day and we just so happened to have some Lightlife Smart Dogs in our freezer that were leftover from 4th of July. Talk about the stars aligning.
Recently, I’ve been craving loaded nachos, so I figured I’d marry Lightlife Smart Dogs with all the fixings of nachos and make a loaded nacho/veggie dog baby. The outcome? A meal fit for a freakin’ Vegan Queen! Ok, maybe a little excessive, but they’re soooo good!
Anyway, we hope you guys love our Nacho Average Loaded Hot Dogs as much as we do! As always, if we inspired you to make loaded nacho veggie dogs, take a photo and tag us on Instagram at @Eat_Figs_Not_Pigs and use the hashtag #EatFigsNotPigs. We’d love to see how you guys like to eat your Lightlife Smart Dogs!! Til next time, friends!!
- 4 hot dog buns, toasted
- 4 Lighlife Smart Dogs
- Cheese sauce (recipe below)
- Fakin' bacon bits (recipe below)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup mashed avocado or guacamole
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 Green onion, minced
- Cilantro, for garnishing (optional)
- 1 TBS vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1/4 boiling water
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp soy sauce, optional
- 1/2 cup non-dairy milk, unflavored and unsweetened
- 1 cup Daiya cheddar shreds
- 1/2 tsp Slap Ya Mama seasoning, optional
- Toast hot dog buns, optional
- Cook Lightlife Smart Dogs according to package directions
- In a bowl, add dry TVP. Heat water until boiling, then add boiling water to TVP, mixing to combine. Add seasonings and mix again to combine. Set aside to rehydrate for 10 minutes.
- In a small pan, heat oil on medium high heat.
- Add TVP and stir constantly until the TVP becomes darker in color and crispy, much resembling real bacon bits, about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer TVP bacon bits to a paper towel lined plate and set aside until ready to be used.
- In a small saucepan on medium-low heat, add cheese, non-dairy milk, and Slap Ya Mama.
- Stir frequently until cheese becomes melted and gooey, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once cheese sauce is done, you can begin to assemble your loaded nacho veggies dogs!
- Stuff your toasted hot dog bun with a Lightlife Smart Dog and top with 2-3 tablespoons cheese sauce, 2 tablespoons mashed avocado, fakin' bits, tomatoes, jalapenos, green onion, and cilantro.