I kind of have an obsession with fried foods. I know it’s not healthy, but I just can’t help myself. I blame it on the fact that I grew up in the South where literally everything is better deep fried.
Ashlee and I just got back from Portland and we picked up a few goodies from a fully vegan grocery store (I know, I was in fucking vegan heaven). Among some of the stuff we got from Food Fight! Grocery, we purchased some vegan grated parmesan cheese from Go Veggie. Since we’ve been back home, I’ve been putting that shit on everything!
A couple nights ago, we made spinach and artichoke pizza. We had some leftover artichoke hearts so, of course, I decided to fry those little suckers. They turned out better than Ashlee and I thought they would, which is why we are sharing the recipe with all of you! These vegan fried artichoke hearts are super simple to make and require less than 20 minutes cooking time! If you need to make an appetizer in a jiffy, then you absolutely need to make these!
Our vegan fried artichoke hearts with garlic dill aioli have the perfect crunch, but are still tender on the inside. The star of the dish is still the artichoke, which I think is super important when it comes to frying any vegetable. There’s nothing worse than too much coating or breading on fried veggies if you ask me.
We hope you guys love our vegan fried artichoke hearts as much as we do! If you happen to try this recipe, make sure to take a photo and tag us on Instagram at @eat_figs_not_pigs. Til next time, guys!!!
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 tsp dill, minced (ground dill will work as well)
- 1 TBS water
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 - 14 oz can whole artichoke hearts, cut in half or quarters
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup vegan parmesan shreds (we used Follow Your Heart brand)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened, unflavored almond milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 TBS cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Minced dill
- Vegan grated parmesan cheese (we used Go Veggie brand)
- In a small bowl or ramekin, mix all the ingredients
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to be used
- Drain artichoke hearts of any liquid and set up your dredging station
- In one bowl, add almond milk
- In another bowl, add flow and cornstarch. Mix to combine.
- In a third bowl, add shredded parmesan, bread crumbs, and salt & pepper. Mix to combine.
- Begin coating your artichoke hearts by first placing in the flour mixture, then the almond milk, then the bread crumb mixture.
- When all artichoke hearts are fully coated, fry on medium heat or 375 degree F until golden brown and crispy, about 4-6 minutes.
- Garnish with grated parmesan and a sprinkle of dill
- Serve hot with garlic dill aioli and ENJOY!!!